Here we present the stories from our daily newsletter that attracted the most attention in August in descending order, with number one the recipient of the most hits. Excluded from the list below are the roundups of people news we publish every week.
1. Fullerton merging with NTUC Income
Fullerton Fund Management will manage the insurer’s public-asset portfolio following the all-Singaporean deal, say sources familiar with the matter.
2. HK SFC issues “sweeping” circular on private funds
The regulator could create unnecessary work for private equity firms by adopting a new approach, says Philippa Allen, CEO of ComplianceAsia.
3. UBS AM hires Asia head of investment solutions
The Swiss firm has lured a senior executive from rival JP Morgan Asset Management to take up the multi-asset-focused role.
4. Investors sound warning on booming Asian equities
Experts at Bank of Singapore, Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs are advising caution, and fund managers appear to agree.
5. Aberdeen Standard names new China chief
The newly combined asset manager has filled the post in Shanghai by poaching from a rival created by another big recent merger.
6. HK Housing Society plans unconstrained bond mandate
The fund is joining the list of Asian asset owners looking to reduce their reliance on the Barclays Global Aggregate index. AsianInvestor spoke to HKHS's head of treasury.
7. China Life targets Belt and Road investments
The largest mainland life insurer is seeking Belt and Road-related investments to help raise its foreign allocation and has set up a new private equity fund with Baidu. (But we also reported that many institutions are still wary of Belt and Road projects)
8. Goldman Sachs AM loses Greater China equity head
The US asset manager saw its lead China portfolio manager depart last month and has promoted internally to replace her.
9. Wealthy Asians stick to bonds despite equity boom
Investment strategists are tipping emerging-market fixed income to perform well, but advise shifting into higher-quality instruments in that segment.
10. BNY Mellon IM hires Asia head of consultant relations
The US asset manager has appointed a former Mercer executive to the newly created role.