Across 2019, Asia's asset owners had to adapt to a variety of market and regulatory developments across the region's investment industry. AsianInvestor was on hand to write about them.
Below we are presenting 10 of the most popular stories from our daily newsletter that attracted the most attention from asset owners throughout 2018. They are ranked in order of viewing figures, with number one garnering the largest readership.
We do not include in the list the people news or the roundups of personnel changes that we publish every week.
1. Texas Teachers closes in on planned Singapore office by Joe Marsh (Jul 20, 2019)
The $153 billion fund chose the Lion City over Hong Kong as its regional hub. Now-outgoing chief investment officer Jerry Albright outlined his plans for the new branch.
2. How Prudential and FWD are adjusting to the late cycle by Jaycee Man (Oct 15, 2019)
The CIOs of Prudential Hong Kong and FWD outlined their investment approaches at the FundForum Asia event in October.
3. AIA, Axa CIOs flag outsourcing challenges by Jaycee Man (Mar 15, 2019)
The insurer investment heads were joined by Asia Capital Re and IndiaFirst Life Insurance executives to discuss their biggest challenges, despite the growing demand for external specialist expertise.
4. IFRS 9 pushing insurers from funds into mandates by Joe Marsh (Jan 6, 2019)
Some insurance firms said they were shifting money from pooled funds into separate accounts to dampen the higher profit-and-loss volatility expected to result from a new reporting standard.
5. Hong Kong insurers face major portfolio shakeups by Jaycee Man (Jul 25, 2019)
Hong Kong's looming risk-based capital regime is set to pose an even bigger investment challenge for local insurance firms than Solvency II has done in Europe.
6. Why Prudential is prioritising assets and ESG by Richard Morrow (Jan 15, 2019)
The CIO of Prudential Corporation Asia explained to AsianInvestor in January 2019 why he was looking to add alternative assets and wants fund houses to embody ESG when investing.
7. Ontario Teachers’ CEO-to-be prepares for Asia buildout by Joe Marsh (Jul 19, 2019)
Jo Taylor spoke to AsianInvestor in July while in Hong Kong catching up with the Canadian retirement fund’s partners and plans in the region.
8. HSBC Life/Axa CIOs outline top priorities by Jolie Ho (Mar 13, 2019)
BNP Paribas Cardif and Prudential were also among the insurers who shed light on their investment focus as well as hiring plans at AsianInvestor’s Insurance Investment Forum in March.
9. Why FWD’s CIO champions the use of derivatives by Jaycee Man (Oct 2, 2019)
Paul Carrett says he supported the use of derivatives to hedge risks and execute promptly and hopes the new RBC regime doesn’t limit the investment opportunities available to insurers.
10. AIA’s Konyn says alts assets' governance risks are underrated by Kenan Machado (Jul 17, 2019)
AIA’s Group CIO Mark Konyn said in July he believed some investors hadn't sufficiently considered the governance trade-offs of private assets, or their illiquidity in tougher times.