AsianInvestor magazine has begun its annual process of seeking submissions for its investment performance awards. We're making a few changes this year, including making a broader call for submissions for certain prizes.
As usual we have received performance data on fund managers across an array of asset classes from Lipper, Mercer and Watson Wyatt, and we have a range of hedge-fund awards being prepared as well. We are contacting a variety of firms that qualify on our quantitative shortlist, based on both absolute and risk-adjusted performance.
The winners will be announced online in the week of April 27, and the awards will be handed out at a black-tie gala dinner at the Conrad Hotel in Hong Kong on Thursday, May 21.
This year, however, we have cut the number of awards to a single one per asset class. The result is fewer, more competitive awards. We congratulate the shortlisted firms and wish them luck in obtaining the final prize.
There are two exceptions to this. We have not been able to obtain performance data for global emerging-market equities, nor for global emerging-market debt. Therefore we are throwing open the doors to any asset-management firm that would like to stake a claim for being the best in this category. If you would like to submit a pitch, please contact us by e-mail at [email protected] and we will forward our criteria. The deadline for submissions is April 17.
In addition we have a number of awards that are not just about performance numbers, and are therefore subject to our editorial team's qualitative judgment. We will be contacting a number of firms for each award, but we are also open to being pitched. These come in three categories.
Onshore fund house of the year
If you have a local business in any of the following markets, feel free to contact us at [email protected] to request criteria and submission guidelines. Again, the deadline for submissions is April 17 and the winners will be announced online the week of April 27.
- China onshore fund house of the year
- India onshore fund house of the year
- Indonesia onshore fund house of the year
- Japan onshore fund house of the year
- Korea onshore fund house of the year
- Malaysia onshore fund house of the year
- Malaysia Islamic investment house of the year
- Middle East fund house of the year
- MPF master trust
- Philippines onshore fund house of the year
- Singapore onshore fund house of the year
- Taiwan onshore fund house of the year
- Thailand onshore fund house of the year
Alternative fund houses
Again, we are appraising nominee firms on our own, but welcome pitches (contact [email protected] for criteria) for the following, provided they include a focus on Asia/Japan:
- Best in private equity
- Best fund of hedge funds
- Best fund of private-equity funds
- Best in real estate investing (private)
- Best in Reit investing
- Best in infrastructure investing
In addition to our prestigious Institutional Investor of the Year award, AsianInvestor has a handful of top awards for investment managers. Although we need submissions to be made by April 17, we will not announce the winners of these categories until the night of the awards ceremony on May 21.
- Asset manager of the year -- Islamic investments
- Asset manager of the year -- ETFs
- Asset manager of the year -- alternative investments
- Asset manager of the year
As you can see, these are quite broad, and we are open to a variety of ideas. If you have a story to tell, we'd be happy to hear it. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] for our criteria and submission guidelines.