- A combination of lower market valuations and temporary short-selling restrictions introduced by a number of countries have put lending plans for certain institutions on hold, and led to a small number of other firms suspending existing programmes in the short term; and
- The rising number of dividend cancellations by corporations, encouraged by governing bodies and regulators around the globe, will likely have a slightly negative impact on securities lending demand over the coming months, especially where borrowing demand may have been tied to a company’s dividend distribution.
However, the shake-up at the hands of COVID-19 hasn’t completely dented hopes for securities lending in APAC. Broadly, it remains a low-risk way to generate additional returns on the investments of asset owners and asset managers alike, via well-managed, risk-mitigated and transparent programmes.
Opportunities for securities lending are emerging in the region, evidenced by six key trends:
- Spurring a return to lending in line with investor confidence in the region overall;
- Providing new context for how to use lending for liquidity as well as returns;
- Driving initiatives to enhance data access and technological innovation;
- Determining ways to integrate ESG factors within APAC securities lending practices;
- Creating new prospects in terms of borrowers, geographies and collateral; and
- Offering greater potential to those lenders looking to optimise their assets.
Lending resilience provides a bright outlook
Ultimately, faced with growing cost pressures and the challenge of generating returns in a lower-for-longer rates environment, asset owners and investment managers cannot ignore the difference that securities lending can make in terms of enhancing portfolio performance and offsetting costs, while also supporting liquidity.
In continuing to deal with the reverberations of COVID-19, markets are cautiously optimistic that securities lending will stay resilient and adapt to remain relevant in the ‘new normal’ landscape for investments today.
To learn more, read the full paper here.
© 2020 Northern Trust Corporation. Head Office: 50 South La Salle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60603 U.S.A. Incorporated with limited liability in the U.S. Products and services provided by subsidiaries of Northern Trust Corporation may vary in different markets and are offered in accordance with local regulation. This material is directed to professional clients only and is not intended for retail clients. For Asia-Pacific markets, it is directed to expert, institutional, professional and wholesale clients or investors only and should not be relied upon by retail clients or investors. For legal and regulatory information about our offices and legal entities, visit northerntrust.com/disclosures. The following information is provided to comply with local disclosure requirements: The Northern Trust Company, London Branch; Northern Trust Global Investments Limited; Northern Trust Securities LLP. Northern Trust Global Services SE, 10 rue du Château d’Eau, L-3364 Leudelange, Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, RCS B232281; Northern Trust Global Services SE UK Branch, 50 Bank Street, London E14 5 NT; Northern Trust Global Services SE Sweden Bankfilial, Ingmar Bergmans gata 4, 1st Floor, 114 34 Stockholm, Sweden; Northern Trust Global Services SE Netherlands Branch, Viñoly 7th floor, Claude Debussylaan 18 A, 1082 MD Amsterdam; Northern Trust Global Services SE Abu Dhabi Branch, registration Number 000000519 licenced by ADGM under FSRA # 160018. The Northern Trust Company Saudi Arabia, PO Box 7508, Level 20, Kingdom Tower, Al Urubah Road, Olaya District, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 11214-9597, a Saudi Joint Stock Company – Capital 52 million SAR. Regulated and Authorised by the Capital Market Authority License # 12163-26 CR 1010366439. Northern Trust (Guernsey) Limited (2651)/Northern Trust Fiduciary Services (Guernsey) Limited (29806)/Northern Trust International Fund Administration Services (Guernsey) Limited (15532) Registered Office: Trafalgar Court, Les Banques, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 3DA.